nano-devel

Available keys. Was: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: A suggestion - set and goto ma

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Available keys. Was: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: A suggestion - set and goto mark
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:32:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Lawrence Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Ken Tyler wrote:
> [snip]
>
>  > Are there any available keys for a pair of "set mark" and "goto mark"
>  > introducers followed by a numeric of F key.
>
> Meta-U and Meta-E are available, but I'd like to keep them reserved for
> Undo and Redo when they're implemented.  Maybe Meta-' and Meta-`, with
> F17 and F18 as function key aliases?

Is there a shortage of available keys? Looking at the main help
screen using nano 1.3.11, it looks like the following keys are not
bound to anything:

(My notes on what the key seems to actually do comes after the two
dashes.)

Control keys:

^q -- displays: [ XON ignored, mumble mumble. ]
^s -- displays: [ XOFF ignored, mumble mumble. ]
^z
^1 -- just prints a 1
^2 -- moves down by paragraph?
^3
^4 -- search replace?
^5
^7 -- go to line?
^8 -- backspace?
^9 -- just prints 9
^0 -- just prints 0
^' -- just prints a '
^` -- down by paragraph?
^; -- just prints a ;
^/ -- go to line #, col #?
^[ -- I think this is supposed to be the same as ESC. (nothing to do with nano)
^]
^= -- just prints an =

And Meta (Alt) keys (these just print the plain char unless
othewise noted):

M-e
M-u
M-1
M-2
M-3
M-4
M-5
M-6
M-7
M-8
M-'
M-`
M-;
M-/
M-\
M-[ -- takes a while, but eventually inserts a [

Are all these keys (except ^[, I suppose) available? If not,
what are they being used for?

(BTW, I'm on an xterm with "xterm*metaSendsEscape: true".)

Thanks,
---John