nano-devel

[Nano-devel] some whitespace and several changed messages

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] some whitespace and several changed messages
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:17:18 +0200

Hi,

A substring of the new Browser Search Command Help Text ends in a
space on a line by itself.  This had me a bit confused during
translation, the space not being visible in KBabel.  I think it's
better to put the space at the start of the next substring.
Attached patch does this.  For consistency it does this also for
another singular space.

Double quotes were added to several messages, but for the following
one this may cause a little puzzlement:

  Argument \"%s\" has unterminated \"

Resulting in:

  Error in /usr/local/etc/nanorc on line 20:
    Argument ""/home/ben/nil" has unterminated "

The following would be slightly clearer, in my opinion:

    Argument '"/home/ben/nil' has unterminated "

Further, the Execute Command Help Text uses the word "menu"
where "mode" is more appropriate, I think.  See the first patch.

The second patch suggests some changes to the help texts, mostly the
use of the word "Toggle" for the toggling Meta key combinations.
And it adds a period to two messages that are sentences: it helps a
tiny bit to distinguish them from error messages.  And it removes
some periods elsewhere, as other statusbar messages don't have one
either.

Something that occurred to me while toying about with the toggles,
is that switching on Appending or Prepending should clear the
current filename: I can't think of any good use of prepending or
appending the current file to itself.

And to conclude, one question: why so many newlines before 'Use "fg"
to return to nano'?

Benno