nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] nano 1.3.12pre1 is out

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] nano 1.3.12pre1 is out
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 13:31:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Lawrence Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:

> John M. Gabriele wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>  > Sure. How about something like the attached patch for a start? Note,
>  > I've also included my patterns for Ruby's "RDoc" doc markup which,
>  > although will erroneously syntax highlight the occasional source code
>  > snippet (because of fancy rules based on indentation of previous
>  > lines), otherwise works well and would likely be considered better
>  > than nothing. Also added a heredoc regex for the Ruby pats. Also
>  > noticed that the sh comments were set to yellow, which seemed kinda'
>  > odd to me, so I set it to cyan (though I see folks often use
>  > brightblue for comments too).
>
> I've applied the heredoc regex, the sh comment color change, and the
> comment change.  However, the larger changes (rdoc and /etc files) sound
> as though they need a bit of testing before they go in, and since I've
> already stretched things with all the translation changes since pre1,
> I'd like to wait for 1.3.12 before applying them.  It shouldn't be long,
> in any case.

Regarding the rdoc patterns, because RDoc is so particular about
indentation of previous lines, I don't think there's any way to
make nano properly *not* syntax highlight text that's meant to
be preformatted text (i.e. code snippets). Sorry -- I was unclear
when I wrote "occasional source code snippet" (should've been
"all of them containing stuff that looks like rdoc markup"). I
still think rdoc files are easier to read with the highlighting
than without, and I've tested those patterns fairly well. I
certainly won't be offended if you omit them though. :)

You're right about the etc files patterns -- I'd figured we'd
get the ball rolling and that others might want to build upon
them, since there are many details of many of those files I'm
certainly not familiar with, and also my spare time is very short
right now. I guess a lot depends upon the flakiness factor you're
comfortable with for your CVS HEAD.

BTW, when viewing most files in /etc, I find that even having
just this:

syntax "etc" "for_most_etc_files"
color brightblue "#.*"

and then running nano like "nano -Yetc /etc/foo" makes things
*much* more readable than with no highlighting at all.

---John