nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] building from cvs, Debian Stable, README's

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] building from cvs, Debian Stable, README's
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:19:46 -0400

John M. Gabriele wrote:
> I'd previously mentioned that I was having some issue with building on
> Debian Stable. Turned out that I was missing the groff package (I had
> groff-base though).
>
> Anyhow, now it builds and runs fine.

That's good.

<snip>

> By the way, it seems to make sense to have a separate build directory,
> so folks can "diff -r" the original source dir with their own without
> hearing about all the build files present. So, I added some
> instructions about that to the README.CVS file as well as made a few
> formatting changes too which you might take or leave. Also added a
> small note to README. (see attached patches)

Applied with a few tweaks, and minus the separate build directory
information for now.  Setting the prefix to "/home/you/opt/local" will
just hardcode that path into the executable, and unless you really want
nano to look for e.g. its global nanorc file in /home/you/opt/local/etc
(assuming you've also set the sysconfdir to /etc instead of leaving it
at its default of ${prefix}/etc), I don't think it's the right solution. If I understand you correctly, building nano with the prefix set to
"/usr", and then running

make install DESTDIR=/home/you/opt/local

might be what you need.