nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] building from cvs, Debian Stable, README's

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] building from cvs, Debian Stable, README's
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 23:31:21 -0400

John M. Gabriele wrote:

<snip>

> Gah. Sorry. I meant that my build dir was at the same level as the
> nano directory. As in:
>
> ~/opt/local
>         `- src
>             |- nano
>             |- nano_mine
>             `- nano_build

Okay then.  build/ was as the same level as nano/ during my experiment
too.

<snip>

>> and this appears to work properly, except for two things: all the
>> files generated by autogen.sh,
>
> Whoops. Darn. Yup:

<snip list>

Hmmm.  Apparently automake also has to be run in the source directory...

<snip>

> I'm not yet very experienced with the standard customs of distributed
> development, and the usefulness of a separate build directory isn't as
> clear to me as I'd assumed. I also hadn't noticed there were extra
> files (the .po~ and .gmo files, plus nano.info and nano.pot) being
> generated in the src (as opposed to the build) dir.
>
> Thanks for investigating it with me.

No problem.

> If you know of a good reason for having a separate build directory,
> please let me know, otherwise I won't bother with it.

Aside from making patches shorter (and hence freeing you from having to
manually delete chunks from them), I can't really think of one.  This
has certainly been a learning experience, though :)