nano-devel

[Nano-devel] indent and unindent marked text

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: [Nano-devel] indent and unindent marked text
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:23:37 -0700 (PDT)

This is a great new feature. Thanks for implementing it.

It would seem to me though, that the indent unindent feature
would be more useful if it snapped to $tabsize * $n column number
rather than moving +/- tabsize when you indent and unident. That
is, for multiple lines of variously-indented text, it would use
the left-most character of all lines as an anchor (or maybe
the left-most character of the first line in the marked block),
and, keeping all the lines in lock-step, would move that anchor
however many spaces it takes (either left (M-{) or right (M-}))
to have it land on the nearest column that's a multiple of tabsize.

I use only spaces for indentation. I don't know which way would
be more useful to folks who use tabs, or even how nano deals with
tabs.

Also, it would be handy if I could just go to a given line and
hit the M-{ or M-} to get the text to shift, rather than having
to first hit C-^, shift the text, then hit C-^ again (to unset
the mark). The help screen says, "(Un)Indent marked text", but
the feature actually works even if nothing is marked -- you can
just tap C-^ to turn on "Mark Set", and then hit M-{ or M-} and
you get indenting/unindenting.

Thanks,
---John