nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] saving a line, and punctuating i.e.

From: Nick Warne
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] saving a line, and punctuating i.e.
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:25:36 +0100

On Friday 28 July 2006 18:33, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:

>  > The second patch replaces "i.e," with "i.e." -- as it is an
>  > abbreviation, it needs two periods, or none, but not just one. A
>  > trailing comma isn't needed, according to rule 21 on
>  > http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp But opinions on this
>  > differ.
>
> Applied; thanks.  While I was in there, I also fixed this problem in the
> documentation.

Not that I think it is wrong, but I see that is an American 'grammar' page.

Being English, and remembering the heady days of English grammar at school
many years ago, the rule of thumb for commas are to represent 'pause' in
spoken word.

Remembering i.e. means 'for instance', you can quiet legally have a comma
following i.e. - thus:

"i.e., commas represent a pause in speech when the sentence is read aloud".

Nick

--
Every program has two purposes:
one for which it was written and another for which it wasn't.