nano-devel

[Nano-devel] terminal not fully restored when backgrounding/foregroundin

From: David Benbennick
Subject: [Nano-devel] terminal not fully restored when backgrounding/foregrounding
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:51:19 -0400

On 8/20/06, David Lawrence Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:
The latter :) This is exactly how Pico (actually "pico -z") behaves when
suspending.

Nonsense.  If that's Pico's behavior, it's a bug.  This is the single
most annoying bug in Nano, in my opinion, and it's been around for a
long time.

To clarify, what I'm talking about, and what I think Mike was talking
about, is the following:

1) Open a new xterm, and do "ls /".  The cursor is now somewhere in
the middle of the terminal, say line 5, not at the bottom.

2) nano
3) ctrl-z.  The cursor is now something like 8 lines farther down the terminal.
4) ps aux.  The ps output fills up the terminal, and the cursor is now
at the bottom.
5) fg
6) ctrl-x.  The cursor is now on line 6, in the middle of the ps
output!  It should be at the bottom where it was before.

This bug is extremely annoying.  Suppose you're writing a program in
Nano, and you suspend to run the compiler.  The compiler output will
show up in the middle of the screen, on top of whatever was already
there, so it's hard to read.

I will pay $10 by Paypal to whoever fixes this bug.