nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] updates...

From: Jean-Philippe Guérard
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] updates...
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:02:39 +0100

Hello!

Le 2006-10-29 00:07:12 +0200, Jordi Mallach écrivait :
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 09:48:03PM +0200, Jean-Philippe Guérard wrote:
> > Please find attached the updated French man pages :)
>
> Applied, thanks for the fabulous response time. :)
>
> I'm wondering, Jean-Philippe, if you have any thoughts about
> po4a-handled manpages.
>
> You're our first and only manpage translator for now, and I suspect you
> might be maintaining other manpage translations out there. Do you have
> experience translating them using po files? Would it help if I migrated
> nano to po4a? It'd probably help me do ca translations, at least ;)

I have very mixed feelings about po4a.

Cons

 - It adds a level of complexity to the translation process.

 - It makes it easy to translate a document without understanding the
   document as a whole. This can leads to bad translations, but also can
   discourage a translator to add some language specific notes.

   This is not an issue if the translator is taking its job seriously,
   but requires more self-discipline from the translator.

 - The disclaimers and copyright information provided as comments
   in the man pages seems to be removed by po4a, which usually violates
   the man page licence.

Pros

 - It makes it easy to manage man pages with redundant contents, which
   is the case of the nano man pages.

 - The update process will be simplified. You don't need to make a diff
   of the original file, as this is automatically managed by po4a.

 - You use .po file, whose syntax is certainly easier than the man pages
   syntax. So, translation itself (but not proofreading of the final
   document) is easier.

Personnally, I don't mind. I'll use the format the nano team decides on.
If it helps get new man pages translations, why not.

Hope thats helps.

--
Jean-Philippe Guérard
http://tigreraye.org