nano-devel

[Nano-devel] "Bus error" when searching in nano - gdb backtraces attache

From: Hans Ecke
Subject: [Nano-devel] "Bus error" when searching in nano - gdb backtraces attached
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:09:28 -0700 (MST)

Hi-

I'm on Suse 10.1 x86-64 with all the supplementary and mainstream updates
applied. I just compiled nano 1.9.99-pre3.

   gcc 4.02
   glib 1.2.10, glib2 2.8.5 (I understand you use glib code somewhere?)
   glibc 2.8.5
   kernel 2.6.13
   ncurses 5.4

When I start nano and do the following:
   * type a bunch of stuff on a couple lines
   * search for one of the strings I just typed
I get the message "Bus error" and nano crashes.

   TERM=xterm
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   LC_COLLATE=C

Attached are three gdb backtraces from the core files.

Next I tried it running under valgrind and it worked just fine. Thats
puzzling.

I have been getting the same error with nano 1.3.8 (which is the version
that comes with Suse these days, I think) and I hoped 1.9.99 would fix it.
No such luck...

Thanks!

Hans

--
Hans Ecke              R&D Geophysicist
address@hidden      GX Technology, AXIS Imaging division

"Once they go up, who cares where they come down?  That's not my department."
                    -- Werner von Braun
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If
you are not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please
immediately notify the sender and delete the original.