nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] next paragraph / previous paragraph

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] next paragraph / previous paragraph
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:10:04 -0500

Benno Schulenberg wrote:

<snip>

> So in my opinion the description of the M-( and M-) keys should make
> clear that they behave differently.  For example:
>
>   M-(   (M-9)   Move to beginning of paragraph, of previous paragraph
>   M-)   (M-0)   Move to end of paragraph, of next paragraph
>
> Or maybe:
>
>   M-(   (M-9)   Move to beginning of (previous) paragraph
>   M-)   (M-0)   Move to end of (next) paragraph
>
> Or, as M-) does not move the cursor to the last cahracter of the
> paragraph but exactly one position beyond it:
>
>   M-(   (M-9)   Move to beginning of paragraph, of previous paragraph
>   M-)   (M-0)   Move just beyond end of paragraph, of next paragraph
>
> Attached patch proposes the last alternative.

Thanks for trying to clarify these, but there are still some problems. What makes these hard to describe is that (a) M-( only moves the cursor
to the beginning of the previous paragraph if it's already at the
beginning of the current paragraph; (b) if you consider the newline
after the last line of the paragraph to be part of the paragraph, M-)
does move to the end of the paragraph; and (c) M-) only moves the cursor
to the end of the next paragraph if it's already at the end of the
current paragraph, as defined in (b).  (Pico's help screen doesn't
describe either of these functions at all, either, or I'd use it as a
guide in this case.)

> Also, wouldn't these paragraph jumping keys be more useful if they
> not only recognized contiguous lines that start at position zero as
> a single paragraph, but also contiguous lines that all have the same
> indentation?

If you have autoindent turned on, they should do that.  (If they don't,
it's a bug.)  The reason why they don't always do that is because the
justify routines use them to determine where the paragraphs to be
justified begin and end, and, since Pico has no autoindent, the justify
routines have to ignore indentation by default.

> While at it, I've also made a patch to replace "Move to" with "Go to",
> as "Move" sounds too much like _something is being moved -- at least
> to me.  But feel free to ignore this, as it would mess up too many
> string unnecessarily.

I don't want to break the translation freeze for the 2.0.x branch, but
once the next version is branched, which should be soon, this sounds
good.  (This also applies to rewording the help for the paragraph
jumping keys.)  Sorry I can't be of more help here.