nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Trailing returns

From: John Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Trailing returns
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:23:24 -0400

On 4/18/07, Marcus Bointon <address@hidden> wrote:
On quite a few occasions I've found the automatic addition of
trailing returns to text files in nano to be a real pain. I found
this message in the archives on the subject:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-nano/2005-10/msg00009.html

Can someone tell me why this is the default behaviour? I've googled
for a reason but have not found one. Other editors I use don't do
this, and I'd really prefer not to have to resort to futzing with sed
to work around it.

I think I remember that some compilers will issue a warning if you
don't have a newline at the end of a file (with warnings turned up)...
Maybe this was for an old version of gcc -- not sure.

On GNU/Linux systems I've never seen a problem that was caused by
having a newline at the end of a file. I once worked on a old brittle
DOS program that barfed on a config file because of this though.
Someone opened the config file, made a tiny trivial change, closed and
saved (their editor added a final newline), and then the program
wouldn't read the config file anymore. That was pretty funny actually
(after we figured it out). :)

---John