nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Trailing returns

From: Nick Warne
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Trailing returns
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 19:35:39 +0100

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 19:23:24 John Gabriele wrote:

> I once worked on a old brittle
> DOS program that barfed on a config file because of this though.
> Someone opened the config file, made a tiny trivial change, closed and
> saved (their editor added a final newline), and then the program
> wouldn't read the config file anymore. That was pretty funny actually
> (after we figured it out). :)

As an aside, when my division in the company got bought out by the the 'real'
company (long story!), we inherited a VAX/VMS that ran the MRO (as it is now
called).

It was system in VAX basic written in house by the old company.  One issue I
first solved was when we changed company headers, nobody could edit repair
schemes - all the repair scheme numbers reported 'not found?'.

After some head scratching, I sussed out each repair scheme number
e.g. 'pw12345' was entered with a trailing space 'pw12345 '.

But the gotcha was - some wasn't :-D

Nick