nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Re: switch autoindent on/off?

From: John Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: switch autoindent on/off?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:42:53 -0400

On 4/18/07, David Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:
On 4/18/07, Hans Ecke <address@hidden> wrote:
> Of course I could use M-I to switch autoindent off before pasting and
> switch it back on afterward, but could nano not do that for me? I
> mean, it should be able to detect that I'm pasting something...

It's not that simple.  There are two different ways of pasting with the
mouse: with gpm on the console, or with X11.  To ncurses, there's no
difference between pasting text and typing it as fast as possible, and
so, as long as nano is based solely on ncurses, it shares that
limitation.

Possible addition to the faq:

4.14. When I paste text into a document, each line is getting indented
further than the last. How do I avoid this?

Temporarily disable the autoindent feature by hitting M-I, paste your
text, then toggle it back on again.

---John