nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 16:57:13 -0500

On 8/6/07, Jordi Mallach <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

> Oh, and also, I would totally do this for all active branches, even if
> it is for practical reasons: if a bug is fixed in GPLv3 HEAD and then
> backported to GPLv2 BRANCH_2_0, you slowly get into even a bigger
> licence versioning mixing. I'd relicence everything at some given
> date.

I was planning on that.

> I think I can provide a script done by the tar maintainer to do the
> text updates all over the tree.

Thanks, but things may be a bit more complicated.  There are three
code-related things that are GPL-2-or-later and copyrighted to the FSF:
configure.ac, po/update.pl, and the getline() and getdelim() equivalents
in utils.c.  Those have to be put under GPL-3-or-later (although, given
the FSF's views, I don't think it'll be hard to do so) before switching
fully to GPL-3-or-later.  And, after the switch, once the FSF copyright
assignment is handled, I'm guessing that the last of these three items
will no longer need a separate copyright notice...