nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Ctrl + Shift + - or Ctrl + -

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Ctrl + Shift + - or Ctrl + -
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:07:39 -0600

On Dec 18, 2007 10:50 AM, Nick Warne <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed the other day this issue, and just tested a few things using
> the targz just posted.
>
> When in X, I use 'Ctrl + Shift + -' to 'goto' line number a hell of a
> lot. After I fubarred my X by trying to build modular Xorg git, I
> found outside of X, this key combination doesn't work - but I just
> found out, that just 'Ctrl + -' works.
>
> So one works OK in X and not in terminal, and vice versa.
>
> Help appears to only mention ^- or M-G. (M-G works in all examples,
> but ^- doesn't in X).
>
> I don't know why this is or if it is a small bug.

It depends on how the keyboard is mapped in either the console or X.  As
far as I know, Ctrl-Shift-- (Ctrl-_) is somewhat more common than
Ctrl--.  Ctrl-- only seems to work in some terminals (e.g. rxvt-unicode
and Xfce Terminal).  It's not really a bug so much as it is one of those
things that makes certain terminals incompatible with other ones.