nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Stepping down as the nano maintainer...

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Stepping down as the nano maintainer...
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 01:09:32 +0100

Hello,

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 01:50:00PM -0600, David Ramsey wrote:
> Now that I've finally been able to put out nano 2.0.7, I'm officially
> stepping down as the nano maintainer.  I can't do much else to improve
> it without a massive rewrite, which I don't have the skills or the time
> for anymore.  (If there are any very minor fixes needed after this
> point, such as broken compilation caused by a stricter GCC, or a fix for
> the remaining NetBSD curses problem that doesn't require a massive
> rewrite of nano, I may come out of retirement long enough to put out
> 2.0.8, if no one's taken over by then.)

I probably speak for many on this list if I say that we feared this day
coming since you first announced your plans months ago.

I'd like to thank you for your efforts in bringing nano to its current
state. If I'm not mistaken, you've feeding patches and then maintaining
nano for more than six years, which have come and gone much way too
fast. Besides being diligent with bug fixes and feature additions,
you've been a great example of dedication to solve the most minor issues
in the package, something I've learned from a lot myself.

While the future is currently uncertain for nano, with no prospective
new maintainer in the horizon, it is time to thank and congratulate you
for the great work you've contributed over the years; and more
importantly, to wish you can find a new exciting project where you can
dump all that energy and drive.

It's both sad and exciting to write this email, but again, thanks for
all the lessons taught, David!

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/