nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Translation updates

From: Jean-Philippe Guérard
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Translation updates
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:12:01 +0200

Le 2008-08-13 16:37:12 -0400, Chris Allegretta écrivait :
> On 8/13/08, Jean-Philippe Guérard <address@hidden> wrote:
> > As a side note to the current discussion, could we go back to the way we
> > were working previously for translations updates.
> >
> > There was an agreement to give a one week notice to translators before
> > publishing a new version. Thus enabling the new version to be published
> > with up-to-date translations. Which in itself is a reward for the
> > translator :)
>
> Absolutely, unless there is something critical like what we had with
> 2.1.3 that shouldn't be a problem.

OK, perfect.

> Forgive me, were the specifics of the agreement: that the maintainer
> would post to the llist that 'There will be a release in a week' and
> not change any strings until the release, or was a x.y.zpre- release
> created and uploaded to the test ftp direcory?

IIRW, a pre release was made, and the po file posted to the Translation
Project.

Having a pre-release is useful, as, for bigger updates, the translator
usually needs to build the new version on his computer to test his
translation (to check that the messages have the correct length, or
to check the translation in context).

If the Translation project is too slow publishing the translation (which
shouldn't happen anymore), posting a link to the pre-release tarball
would give me all I need to work, but I can't speak for the other
translators and I'm not sure that they are all following the nano devel
mail list.

Thanks!

--
Jean-Philippe Guérard