nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] GNU nano 2.0.8

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] GNU nano 2.0.8
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:04:09 +0200

Chris Allegretta wrote:
> I'm confused. What's in 2.0.8 that isn't in 2.1?  All I've done
> is added strings AFAIK,

Before you took over again, one of the first things that David did
in the 2.1 branch was rewording some of the help text lines.  See
r4062 and r4063.

> I even spot checked after doing the sync
> and didnt see a huge loss in strings.

When in a stable branch (with zero string changes) the translation
rate goes down even just a little, something is wrong.

> Do the gettext components not do the right thing in this case?  if
> so that seems pretty poor.

The msgmerge tool of gettext is indeed rather poor.  To get it to do
the right thing, you would have to keep the PO files from before and
after the TP sync, concatenate each pair with 'msgcat --use-first'
and then merge each concatenation with the new POT file.  But that
might mix strings in a way that a translator did not intend.  So
it's better to simply undo the sync with the TP.

Benno