nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] State of the editor / remaining feature requests

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] State of the editor / remaining feature requests
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 01:11:42 -0500

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 00:43:29 Chris Allegretta wrote:
> - Handle window resizes better.  After we resize, we should stay
>   wherever we were before we resized, as Pico does.

this sounds like a bug to me ... nano handles resizes just fine today the way
i'd expect: if my terminal changes size, fully expect nano to handle the new
size exactly.

> - Fix problems with color syntaxes' highlighting lines too aggressively.
> - Allow color syntaxes to apply to more than just color, so that we can
>   e.g. specify a different alternate spell checker depending on which
>   file type we have open.

i dont know anything about vim, but i wonder if simply using its method for
color syntax is a possibility ?  then people wouldnt have to reimplement
things as we could just steal the existing stuff ;)

> - Allow text searches in the help browser.

if the help browser wasnt anything special, but rather a new window that had
the help text pasted in ...

> - Make pasting text work as fast as it does in Pico.

if pasting of text is detected in nano, then it should temporarily turn off
color highlighting ... i find the speeds to be dramatically improved if i do
meta+y before the paste
-mike