nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] 2.1.8pre2

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] 2.1.8pre2
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 00:47:14 -0500

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Chris Allegretta <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Chris Allegretta <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:
seems to be related to syntax highlighting.  when i have C highlighting turned
on, it's much more crashy.

try this (with highlighting and such turned on):
 - run `nano foo.c`
 - type: /**/
 - hit home (to go to start of line)
 - hit meta+t (to cut everything)
 - hit ctrl+u (to paste everything)
 - hit backspace

some garbage shows up.  my guess is memory corruption.  that's why sometimes
it "just works" for me and other times it segfaults and other times i get
garbage chars.

i would also look at the test case i posted in the last thread where you
posted a pre release
-mike

I'll do even better, run nano <file that doesnt exist>.c and type any character and it crashes.
The magicline data wasn't getting initilized, which may also contribute to the issue you see below, since I couldn't get that to crash...

Okay, that should hopefully fixed, as should be some too un-ambitious resetting of multidata.  Apologies; there may be more cases which still cause crashes.

I put up a new tarball: nano-2.1.9pre1 with the --quiet flag implemented as well as the syntax highlighting fixes that were committed earlier.  IMO it's probably worth getting a more stable release out sooner rather than later, given that people are going to be bitten by those syntax bugs pretty frequently, at least the un-aggresive highlighting one.  Anyway, it's at:

http://www.nano-editor.org/dist/test/nano-2.1.9pre1.tar.gz

Assuming nothing major comes up which requires further string translation changes, I'll submit this PO file to the translators tomorrow so we can have 2.1.9 in a little over a week, and start working on the ~ syntax in .nanorcs which Eitan found in the meanwhile.