nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Re: [Info-nano] Nano Feature Request?

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: [Info-nano] Nano Feature Request?
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:24:26 -0400

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Adam Wysocki via
ArcaBit<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Damien Joldersma wrote:
>
>> I happen to like this idea alot: "how about just a warning on the top or
>> bottom line?" - leave current functionality the same but just put tesxt
>> message in reverse in the header bar, perhaps in uppper right "** Read-Only
>> **"  or the like - I think a visual cue would be great bang for buck :D
>
> Warning on the statusbar can be accomplished by adding appropriate string
> to the "Read %lu lines" (and the like) strings. Attached patch does this.

I was about to suggest this, but was looking for some consensus on
whether to even both requiring a flag for the behavior.  I think a
reasonable compromise based on what's been said would be:

- In default behavior, check at file open time for writability, and
throw a message on the statusbar if the file is unwritable.

- With a new flag (-y or  --viewify to make it clear what it's doing),
force the buffer to be read only if we think the file is unwritable,
and still throw the message on the statusbar.

Does that sound reasonable to everyone?