nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Happy 10th Birthday GNU nano

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: [Nano-devel] Happy 10th Birthday GNU nano
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:37:51 -0500

Well, it's that time folks. Ten years ago today (November 19th, 1999),
the first public release of nano was put online for the world to try.
At the time called TIP for TIP Isn't Pico, and compiling on a modern
system to just 25 Kilobytes (compared to our most recent release's
/massive/ 163KB), it did the basics: no help menu, no rc file, syntax
highlighting, or even basics like line wrapping. What it did do was
generate was interest in the project, and on December 9th a Debian
developer named Jordi Mallach emailed me about the project.  The rest
of course is history.

I'd like to take a minute to thank everyone who has used nano, submitted
a bug or patch, or just send a simple 'thank you' email.  You folks are
the best and I appreciate your feedback and patience with the project.

I do want to specifically thank Jordi, not only for being with us from
the get-go, but for always being professional and helpful.  Thank you
for everything you've done for us.  And of course we would not be where
we are without the efforts of David Lawrence Ramsey, who maintained the
project for basically six years, and made the program about one thousand
times better than it was when he first joined.  David, thank you for
everything you've done and please know you are missed.

Here's to another 10 years of nano development.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

v4sw7CUPYhw5ln6pr5Pck4ma7u7Lw0m6g/l7DUi5e6t5Ab6THen7g6Ma29s5r3p-4 hackerkey.com