nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] New prerelease for security tweaks

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] New prerelease for security tweaks
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:25:43 -0400

Hey Jordi,

Ok, there are two commits, r4491 and 4492 which change actual
functionality.  In r4493 I just added a note about the risks of using
-B as root in the man pages.

I'm not aware of any CVEs for the issue since as the researcher states
"The issues presented here have been reported responsibly to both
downstream distribution security teams and the developers of nano, and
have not been prioritized as issues requiring a security update. They
may or may not be addressed in subsequent releases of nano, but I
agree with the assessment of the security teams I have spoken with:
these issues do not constitute a significant risk to users in most
cases"

I don't mind requesting a CVE once we're ready for the release but it
seems like we would want to have an official release ready beforehand,
rather than face some ill-informed uproar about how the fix is not
available yet and nano must be removed from their distro until one is
available.

As you're a downstream maintainer, if you or Mike or another
maintainer are stongly in favor of an official release sooner rather
than later, with the caveat that we'll be missing one translated
string fromt the release, I'm fine with it.  This isn't the type of
string that anyone is going to see normally anyway.