nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Bug/Feature request with whitespace handling

From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin
Subject: [Nano-devel] Bug/Feature request with whitespace handling
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:12:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hey there,

I'm reluctant to file this immediately as a bug, but would like to instead ask what more data I could provide.

I have a UTF-8 terminal, and have put in my global nanorc:

set whitespace "»·"

Now, if you're on UTF8, you will see, essentially:

and . (the . would be at mid-line height). Both of these would be a
single character wide.

If, however, you're on some OTHER terminal type, you see this:

http://www.gushi.org/nano_bug/nano_stuff.png

(as reported by a user)

However, nano throws up a warning that it can't parse that line because at that point it's 4 chars wide.

I might suggest that the "set whitespace" warning needs to be modified such that it is encoding matched.

set whitespace UTF-8 "xy"
set whitespace "ab"

Thoughts?

-Dan Mahoney