nano-devel

[Nano-devel] [Patch] softwrap up and down on apparent lines

From: Noé Falzon
Subject: [Nano-devel] [Patch] softwrap up and down on apparent lines
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:54:45 +0300

Hi list,

here is a patch for a feature I think is missing from nano. In
softwrap mode, it changes the behavior of the 'up' and 'down' actions
to consider apparent lines instead of real newline-separated lines.
Most (all?) graphical text editors act like this, and I'm not really
sure why console ones shouldn't do the same.

Since I use nano not only for code but also for natural language
(writing blog posts or emails), I often end up finding navigating in
the text bothersome. For instance when you want to edit one word in
the middle of a paragraph (which is a single line), you need to use
'left' or 'right' to reach it, which can be a bit long (even when
using whole word skipping).

I don't have an extensive knowledge of nano's code, so I hope this
patch doesn't actually break something I haven't seen. Also, if there
is in fact a good reason why up/down should act on whole lines, please
enlighten me :) Otherwise, feel free to apply it to nano's trunk.

I'm glad to finally give back to nano, which is definitely my favorite
console text editor :)

Cheers,
Noé