nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [bug] segfault when pasting then cutting, when mark is

From: Asheesh Laroia
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [bug] segfault when pasting then cutting, when mark is on
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 00:00:54 -0400

Excerpts from Benno Schulenberg's message of Sun Jul 22 12:42:08 -0400 2012:

> Hi,
>
> The editor segfaults when some text is marked, something is
> pasted, then something cut, and then a Cursor-up is done.
>
> How to reproduce:
>
> Start nano with an empty buffer, then type
> for example the following two lines:
>
> first line
> second line
>
> Place the cursor in the first line and type ^K
> to have a non-empty cut buffer.
>
> Then type:  Alt-A  Cursor-right  ^U  ^K  Cursor-up
>
> (The Cursor-right may be done several times, as long
> as it stays on the same line.)
>
> Result: Segmentation fault
>
> Found on nano 2.2.5, bug still present in SVN (nano 2.3.1).

I can reproduce this on GNU nano 2.2.6 in Debian unstable/sid/wheezy
at the moment. I'll work on reproducing the issue.

Benno, thank you for reporting this with such a clear description
of the problem!

I'm curious if you happen to be a C programmer, and/or if you are
familiar with applying patches. It'd be great if you could read through
and test a patch if I manage to come up with one.

-- Asheesh.