nano-devel

[Nano-devel] On submitting improved highlighting for C

From: frank ernest
Subject: [Nano-devel] On submitting improved highlighting for C
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 14:59:54 -0400

Opensuse 12.3 nano 2.3.1
I decided to try nano out for programming and noticed it could use several improvements in it's syntax highlighting.
I fixed it up and was going to start using nano regularly but then I noticed that it's undo fuction was experimental...
I'd still like to know how to send you the changes I made though. I don't think a diff will do as I practically rewrote the file from scratch.
A few notes on my work...
I'm not certain what this does:
color brightyellow start=""(\\.|[^"])*\\[[:space:]]*$" end="^(\\.|[^"])*""
So I commented it out.

The line:
color brightblue start="/\*" end="\*/"

Highlights to far.
Try it on this:

/*
 * Comment A.
 */
for(index = 0; part_of_file != EOF && (!isspace(part_of_file) || \

So I fixed it.

I also added a few regex to color bright yellow if you miss a semicolon ';'.
I also added a few more to check for a line continuation char '\' (this error is ignored often by gcc even with the -w -wall etc. enabled.)
Example:

unsigned char a = (unsigned char)
malloc(sizeof(unsigned char))

Do you see the missing '\'?

Additionally, I think that yellow should be called brown and yellow and dark brown be implemented. Also, is there some way to change brightred so as to make it look less like an ugly error message from ffmpeg?