nano-devel

[Nano-devel] the help lines of search/replace

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] the help lines of search/replace
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:35:55 +0100

Hi all,

Currently the help lines of "Where Is" look like this:

^G Get Help  ^Y First Line^T Go To Line^W Beg of ParM-J FullJstifM-B Backwards
^C Cancel    ^V Last Line ^R Replace   ^O End of ParM-C Case SensM-R Regexp

And those of "Replace":

^G Get Help     ^Y First Line   M-C Case Sens   M-R Regexp      ^N NextHstory
^C Cancel       ^V Last Line    M-B Backwards   ^P PrevHstory   ^R No Replace

The important toggles, the ones that affect the mode of searching/replacing,
are hidden near the end or in the middle.  I think these toggles should come
at the beginning, right after "Get Help" and "Cancel", and should be in the
exact same positions for both Searching and Replacing (as far as is possible,
since the help lines of "Replace" have less items).  Further, "Case sensitivity"
and "Reg.exp." should be paired, as they both affect the interpretation of the
search string, and "Backwards" and "^R" should be paired as they affect the
manner of operation.

So I propose to make them look like this:

^G Get Help  M-C Case SensM-B Backwards^T Go To Line^W Beg of Par^Y First Line
^C Cancel    M-R Regexp   ^R Replace   M-J FullJstif^O End of Par^V Last Line

^G Get Help     M-C Case Sens   M-B Backwards   ^P PrevHstory   ^Y First Line
^C Cancel       M-R Regexp      ^R No Replace   ^N NextHstory   ^V Last Line

What do you think?

(I can't find how these things look in Pico, but if its file browser help lines
are
any indication... they are vastly different from nano's -- see for example on:
http://info.eps.surrey.ac.uk/FAQ/pico.html)

Regards,

Benno

--