nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Colorize the title bar, status bar, and menu bar

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Colorize the title bar, status bar, and menu bar
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 13:37:37 +0200

Hello Mark, and others,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014, at 16:07, Mark Majeres wrote:
> Attached is a patch for v2.3.2 that adds optional colors to the menu,
> title bar, and status bar.

I've updated your patch to the current state of SVN, and cleaned up
the whitespace, and renamed most of the variables for extra clarity,
and added a few comments, and moved parse_color_string() to after
parse_colors() so that it is more obvious that a part of the latter
was made into a separate function.  See first attachment.

But using it, I find it unintuitive that titlecolor also determines the
colour of the key combos in the bottom lines.  Moreover, it shouldn't
be necessary to have the same colour combination for both.  So I've
extended your patch slightly to allow for four differently coloured
elements: title, status, keys, and functions.  See second attachment.

So now I have in my .nanorc (for a terminal with a light background):

set titlecolor white,blue
set statuscolor white,blue
set keycolor blue
set functioncolor yellow

Quite pleasing.

But then I finally notice a defect: bright colours aren't working.  And
with the current setup of variables, I don't see how to easily make
this work.  Maybe bright colours aren't needed in the interface elements,
as they would draw too much attention, but then rcfile parsing should
reject any use of "bright" for these settings.  What do you say?

Benno

                          love email again