nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] GNU nano 2.3.4

From: Mark Majeres
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] GNU nano 2.3.4
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 09:27:20 -0700

On 6/5/14, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014, at 22:19, Mark Majeres wrote:
>> Yeah, still working out some undo/redo issues.  I reworked the
>> function that splits the line when writing email, dowrap(), so that it
>> works consistently in undo/redo.  I place a SPLIT_BEGIN in the undo
>> chain, then call do_delete() and do_enter() so that undo's for these
>> are placed in the chain, then at the end I place a SPLIT_BEGIN.
>
> This sounds like a self-contained cange, that is: it isn't dependent on
> the do_justify() stuff to be functional and useful?  If this is the case,
> could you keep the two things as separate patches?  And if the first is
> close-to-ready, could you post it?
>
>> I think in the end, this will also
>> satisfy James' request that was made on Monday.
>
> Oo...  That would be cool.  :)
>
> Benno
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Access your email from home and the web

Benno,

Attached is an undo-redo patch for do_wrap().  The rules/functionality
for do_wrap should be the same.  The only improvements are with
undo/redo.

I don't know if the previous functionality matched pico or what the
reasoning was, but it doesn't behave the way I would expect it to.

Specifically, do_wrap only adjusts the current line and the one below
it.  This can leave large 'gaps' on lines that had been wrapped in
prior calls to do_wrap.  A manual do_justify() is then required by the
user to remove the gaps and correctly align the edges.  If I
understand, this is also the behavior James would like corrected.

Should the behavior be changed to wrap then entire sentence?  Should
it wrap the entire paragraph?

-Mark