nano-devel

[Nano-devel] having text marked/selected

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] having text marked/selected
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 13:34:14 +0200

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014, at 15:01, Mark Majeres wrote:
> My gedit is version 3.4.1.  The cut text is highlighted (marked) after
> the undo in gedit, the others it is not.  Marking the text that was
> uncut would be an easy addition.

That would be nice, but then arises the question: when do you turn
that mark off again?  It would require an undo item for MARK, which
is not undone/redone separately but together with its neighbouring
action.

Imagine cutting some lines, moving the cursor elsewhere, cutting
some more lines, then setting the mark, moving the cursor, and
cutting the marked section.  Now undo this stuff.  If between the
first and the second undo you don't undo the mark, then after the
second and the third undo lots of text will be marked that never
were marked by the user.

Oh, that brings me to a maybe more compelling reason why I prefer
the cursor to return to before the cut section when the selection
was made backwards.  Do a few ^Ks, and then an M-U.  The cursor
is back to before the cut section, there where it was when the
cutting started.  Now do a forward selection of the same lines,
^K, M-U.  Then a backward selection of the same lines, ^K, M-U.
To me it is obvious that the current behaviour is not consistent:
the cursor does not always return to the place where it was when
^K was done.  But maybe this will be clearer when you switch back
on the mark when it was set before a ^K.

But if you disagree, it's fine, it's not a big issue.  The main
thing is that these undos now work flawlessly, thanks for that
-- where the cursor lands is a side issue.

Benno

                          wherever you are