nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] some build stuff

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] some build stuff
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 03:03:40 -0400

On Thu 05 Jun 2014 22:43:00 Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> In the man pages and in the info document there a few references to
> SYSCONFDIR/nanorc.  I find this ugly -- SYSCONFDIR is not something
> that the user should know.  Ideally it would get replaced at build
> time by /etc (or whatever $sysconfdir has been set to at that time).
> How to go about this?

well, here's the fun part ... those paths (by design) aren't known until
`make` time.  you can't sanely expand them at configure time.

your best bet probably would be to add an install hook that'd run sed on the
files and replace SYSCONFDIR with $(sysconfdir) (or whatever the variable is
named).

> In the Makefile that gets distributed the EXTRA_DIST variable
> contains many things that are already contained in DIST_COMMON.
> Is this duplication there for a reason?  Or can EXTRA_DIST in
> Makefile.am be trimmed to just ChangeLog.pre-2.1 README.SVN
> UPGRADE and nano.spec?

probably could be updated.  should be easy to test -- run `make dist` and look
at the listing of the tarball.  if everything is in there, then you're good to
go.

> In src/Makefile.am there is an "ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4", but
> the automake docs say that this is only needed in the top-level
> directory.  Was that found to be false?

yes, it should only be needed in the top level
-mike