nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] nano 2.3.3 way slower (w/colorization?)

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] nano 2.3.3 way slower (w/colorization?)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 11:57:59 +0200

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014, at 9:50, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> has anyone else noticed that starting with nano 2.3.3, colorized files seem
> be way slower ?  it seems like nano is constantly refreshing the entire
> screen
> when it shouldn't.

It sometimes feels a bit slower.  But when I try to compare, I can't
really notice any difference.

Nevertheless, 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 should be a bit slower than 2.3.2,
because there is a call to wredrawln() for every screen line (see
svn diff -c 4907), which bypasses the optimization of ncurses, and
two extra calls to wattroff() for every coloured line (see svn diff
-c 4902).  If you undo those two changes, does the speed return to
"normal"?

(Is there some simple program that I can run that will hog the
CPU and thus reliably "slow down" the computer?  Or maybe these
virtualization packages have a knob to regulate speed?  Because
the boxes I can ssh to are too fast and the connection is too.)

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...