nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] some build stuff

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] some build stuff
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 17:42:12 -0400

On Wed 18 Jun 2014 17:23:33 Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 18 June 2014 17:19, Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> Huh?  For GNU sed, an argument for -i is optional.
> >> You mean that for some implementations it might
> >> be required?  I would rather think that -i is not
> >> POSIX and some seds might lack it.
> >
> > -i is not in POSIX.  some implementations (like the BSD) decided to make
> > the argument to -i required
>
> POSIX requires flag parsing work like this.

no, it doesn't.

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/sed.html
"The sed utility shall conform to XBD Utility Syntax Guidelines ..."

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/V1_chap12.html#tag_12_02
"Guideline 7: Option-arguments should not be optional."

"should" is not a requirement, is a recommendation.  further, getopt is
described as a helper function that may be used to make people's lives easier,
but is not required.

> >  (which is stupid, but so are a lot of BSD utils).
>
> lets not get into a pissing match here about which utilities are
> better/worse.

it's not a pissing match when one is provably better
-mike