nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] the mechanics of wrapping

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] the mechanics of wrapping
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 23:05:33 +0200

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014, at 15:30, Mark Majeres wrote:
> To minimize the processing for this feature I can add a new member to
> the filestruct that will store the number of screen lines for each
> line of text in the file.

How does that hold up when the screen is resized?

> I wanted to clarify the requirements before starting the edits.
> Should breaking at a word boundary be the default for softwrap?

Probably yes.

> Is there any reason why someone would prefer to have nano break
> mid-word as it currently does?

Because it is predictable -- the user would know that the end of
each third virtual line is column 240 (on an 80-column terminal).
(For someone dealing regularly with columns and long lines, this
may be useful.  But then the horizontal scrolling-in-unison is
probably more useful.)

Benno