nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Applying Debian patches

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Applying Debian patches
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 20:52:34 +0200

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014, at 18:58, Jordi Mallach wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 11:11:24AM +0200, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > However, this fragment looks like a mistake to me:
> >
> > -In restricted mode, \fBnano\fP will \fInot\fP:
> > +In restricted mode, \fBnano\fP will \fInot\/\fP:
>
> Hm, I remember looking at this one. It doesn't appear to do anything, the
> bug reporter mentioned:
>
>   Space between italic and roman characters adjusted with \/ or \,
>
> I've tried to find more info but I haven't seen anything helpful on the
> internets, so I dropped that bit for now.

Ah, it is from Bjarni, so it has to do with printing, prettier printing.

See man 7 groff:

\/     Increases the width of the preceding glyph so that the
        spacing between that glyph and the following glyph is
        correct if the following glyph is a roman glyph.

It has no effect on terminals, only on paper.

Benno