nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Doc translations with po4a

From: Mario Blättermann
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Doc translations with po4a
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 08:23:20 +0200

Am 31.07.2014 21:17, schrieb Benno Schulenberg:

> Hello Michai,
>
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014, at 16:22, Mihai Cristescu wrote:
>> I have generated the .pot file based on the scripts sent by Mario,
>> which included also the texinfo strings (nano version 2.3.5).
>
> Please wait until there is POT file for the nano-docs at the TP.
> There are likely to be some changes still -- whenever I see a
> new POT file, there are things that I want to change.  :)
>
>> I would like to know if I continue translating the ro.po file with
>> combined man and texinfo strings or if I generate a new ro.po file
>> only with man files as I see is preferred in this thread.
>
> As said above, do not generate a POT file yourself, wait for
> the nano maintainers to do that, and then for it to appear
> on the TP.

There's no decision made yet whether to ship the man and texinfo translations in
one template. For the time being, do nothing. And if you can't wait, continue on
translate the texinfo stuff based on the pot file generated with my script, it
is easy to split the file later, if needed.

>> On the other hand, I understand that TP has only .po for texinfo
>> strings in the system
>
> No, the TP has only a POT file with the interface strings of nano,
> there a re no docs of nano yet at the TP.  The last Romanian
> translation of those interface strings is indeed for version 1.3.7,
> dating from 2005.  If you want to do something, while you wait
> for the docs POT to become final, you could bring the Romanian
> http://translationproject.org/PO-files/ro/nano-2.3.5.ro.po
> up to date.

Good idea. The last update was almost ten years ago, and it is always better to
have the UI strings (almost) complete before working on docs. If you do that,
please convert the file encoding from ISO-8859-2 to UTF-8 please.

Regarding po files for texinfo, maybe you meant the TP domain
"help2man-texinfo"? This is the first attempt at all to get texinfo docs of a
GNU project translated. Once the latest version 1.46.1 appears in Archlinux,
install it and test the behavior of the docs. Translations are included for
Polish, Ukrainian and German. As far as I can see, the package is already
available in Debian Sid and Mageia Cauldron.

Best Regards,
Mario