nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Doc translations with po4a

From: Mihai Cristescu
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Doc translations with po4a
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 10:38:39 +0300

Hello Mario,

> There's no decision made yet whether to ship the man and texinfo translations
> in
> one template. For the time being, do nothing. And if you can't wait, continue
> on
> translate the texinfo stuff based on the pot file generated with my script, it
> is easy to split the file later, if needed.

OK, then I wait for the official template released by nano-devel.

> Good idea. The last update was almost ten years ago, and it is always better
> have the UI strings (almost) complete before working on docs. If you do that,
> please convert the file encoding from ISO-8859-2 to UTF-8 please.

Of course UTF-8 is the coding I am using since long time. The problem
with the ISO-8859-2 is that even if it is described as being the
coding for Romanian language among other languages, I consider it is
not.
Because it contains some characters (letters) which are not accepted
officially by the Romanian academy. These wrong characters are:

ş = U+015F (Cedilla)
Ş = U+015E (Cedilla)
ţ = U+0163 (Cedilla)
Ţ = U+0162 (Cedilla)

They are probably from Turkish language, not Romanian. The good thing
is that those characters are correctly displayed with the standard
font in framebuffer terminal (not X) in most of the distributions.

But the correct characters accepted are:
ș = U+0219 (comma)
ț = U+021B (comma)
Ș = U+0218 (comma)
Ț = U+021B (comma)

which are available in UTF-8 extended coding.

With the standard font of the terminal in framebuffer the correct
characters are not correctly displayed, thus the supporting fonts with
these characters have to be configured (like Terminus).
In this moment there is a mess with the coding of the strings in many
packages, not only nano. Most of them are ISO-8859-2.

> Regarding po files for texinfo, maybe you meant the TP domain
> "help2man-texinfo"? This is the first attempt at all to get texinfo docs of a
> GNU project translated. Once the latest version 1.46.1 appears in Archlinux,
> install it and test the behavior of the docs. Translations are included for
> Polish, Ukrainian and German. As far as I can see, the package is already
> available in Debian Sid and Mageia Cauldron.

No, sorry no related to help2man.
Actually what is the purpose of the texinfo strings for nano?
I see that there are:
- strings for man (nano.1, rnano.1, nanorc.5), which generate also
html doc files
- strings for nano interface
- texinfo stands for ???

In my opinion we should translate as much as possible in one single
template, not only man/interface, but I don't know if creating the
template and reversing to the source documents is too complex task, so
it is nano-devel decision what the template will contain.

Best regards,
Mihai