nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Add function to convert leading whitespace to tabs

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Add function to convert leading whitespace to tabs
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:14:09 +0200

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014, at 15:00, Erik Lundin wrote:
> I've implemented the undo functions but looking through the undo code i
> notice that the variable holding the line data in the undo struct is:
>
> char *strdata;
>
> This makes undoing/redoing the "indent/unindent :-)/whitespace to tabs"
> a lot harder when it's done by selecting multiple lines.

Would a different representation of the line data make such mass
undoings significantly easier?  If so, how?

> Or should the
> undo function just go line by line like search/replace even though it's
> done in a single action?

No, that would be very tedious if it's more than a couple of lines.

There exists a patch that rewrites the justification routine and
its undoing as repeated hard line wraps:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2014-07/msg00001.html

Maybe you could model the undoing of indent/unindent/convert on that?

Benno

                          wherever you are