nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] can't build without curses/ncurses and a string change

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] can't build without curses/ncurses and a string change suggestion
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 22:26:30 +0100

Hello Marco,

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 13:52, Marco Colombo wrote:
> configure: WARNING:
> *** No curses lib available.  Consider getting the official ncurses
> *** distribution from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/ncurses if you get
> *** errors compiling nano.
> [...]
> so it seems that the lack of curses/ncurses shouldn't be a problem.

Not really.  I read the above warning as: you will likely have problems
compiling nano without ncurses.  But it might not be a problem if you
have something else that can replace ncurses, like slang.

> so, either configure should stop with an error, or the compilation
> should be successful even without curses/ncurses.

I agree that ./configure should detect whether enough stuff is
present to successfully compile nano.  But I don't know how to
do that.

> also, I think that the following string (I believe it's very recent)
> "the many translators and the TP" would be more intelligible if it read
> "the many translators and the Translation Project".

True.  But it is a very hidden phrase, and there is no harm in
being a little puzzling there.  And I wanted to prevent translators
translating the words "Translation Project".

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail