nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] searching for regexes containing ^ or $

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] searching for regexes containing ^ or $
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 12:40:27 -0400

On 4/22/15, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> Vim and geany and emacs will find the fixed string "eee" just
> once in the short text at the top.  Nano will find it three times.
> And so does Pico.  So nano will have to continue doing that.  And
> then, to be self-consistent, it should find the regexp "e+$" five
> times, and therefore drop the special cases for replacing literal
> ^ and $.  Right?

This sounds like something that would irritate me enough to implement
a long option/rcfile option to be able to override the Pico behavior
as it does seem strange.  I think I've run into it all of once or
twice in 15 years.  Surely others have opinions here however; whether
you were to add this once 2.5 opens is entirely up to you Benno, based
I assume on who else chimes in and how passionately you feel about
this behavior.