nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] beeps and lengths

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] beeps and lengths
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 03:03:29 -0400

On 31 Jul 2015 12:10, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Almost all editors beep when trying to move down past the end-of-file,
> or trying to move up past the beginning-of-file.  Vim, Emacs, Gedit...
> But not nano nor Pico.  Should nano emulate other editors more?

as long as all audio bells & visual flashes can be disabled via nanorc,
then behaving more like others sounds fine.

> However, Pico does beep when trying to scroll a help text beyond the
> beginning or the end.  nano does not.  Should nano copy Pico in this?

i'm not sure how useful this is.  if you hit the down arrow and the cursor
doesn't move, isn't it fairly obvious why that is ?

> Second, when using nano on wide terminals (120 columns or more),
> I think the ^G help texts get awkward to read.  Pico's help texts
> have a fixed width of 74 characters.  Would it be a good idea to
> wrap the help texts (not the key descriptions) at a maximum of
> around 80 characters, so that the paragraphs don't get too long?

i've always disliked the help page -- it doesn't behave like the main window
that you use w/nano everyday.  for example, ^W doesn't work, so i'm left with
having to read a lot of text instead.  wrapping at 80 cols seems fine since
there isn't a whole lot of text there.
-mike