nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] What's up with chris, and how to move forward

From: Dirkjan Ochtman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] What's up with chris, and how to move forward
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 09:29:41 +0100

Hi Chris,

First of all, thanks for all your hard work on nano over the past decades!

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 9:09 PM, Chris Allegretta <address@hidden> wrote:
> So hopefully this explains why I haven't been as visible, and I
> apologize for folks who have been trying to keep things moving.  I'm
> very interested in any feelings people have on these topics, and I want
> to be clear how incredibly valuable everyone is to the project.  Please
> don't take any of this personally, there are many personal issues
> swirling around this as well on my side. Also, feel free to be critical
> of me as needed if you want to reply, privately or publicly.  More
> conversation here is better; maybe there is some solution to this which
> is not obvious to me.  We should definitely try changing things up, and
> sorry I haven't put forth any recommendations here.  But I'm certainly
> very interested in what you all might propose.

Second of all, don't feel bad. Being a project maintainer sometimes
means you have to be a gatekeeper, to keep the original design or
intention of the project coherent. I understand that it can feel bad
at times, but in the end it's a good thing.

This must have been a hard email to write, and I believe it's a great
way to open up to the community. I do hope those more active
contributors will respond in kind, and a way can be found to both move
nano forward as well as keep it easy to use for everyone who counts on
current behavior. I've used nano as my primary editor for about 10
years now, and I hope to continue doing so for another 10!

Cheers,

Dirkjan