nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] selecting text by holding Shift

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] selecting text by holding Shift
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 15:56:11 +0100

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015, at 00:48, address@hidden wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 20:29:27 +0100
> Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > It's a pity that Shift+Home and Shift+End don't work; if they
> > could be made to work, then selection by holding shift in this
> > form would be already quite usable, in my opinion.
>
> A google search says it is a problem with VTE, which Gnome Terminal
> and XFCE both use, and has been fixed in newer versions.
>
> http://superuser.com/questions/582539/disable-shifthome-shiftend-keybindings-in-gnome-terminal-ubuntu-12-04

Ah.  Thanks for that!  Using that guide, I liberated Shift+Home
and Shift+End on my machine.  Unfortunately, in my Gnome Terminal,
Shift+Home produces the exact same escape sequence as Home.

So... this still isn't working.  It's even worse: instead of doing
nothing and leaving the  selection as it is, the cursor goes home
and the selection is lost.

So, I have made a little chapuza.  The combos of Shift+Alt with
the arrow keys were producing the "Unknown Command" message on my
machine.  I have made it so that Shift+Alt+Left is interpreted as
Shift+Home.

Now one can make a selection by holding Shift together with the
arrow keys, and one can take bigger strides by holding also Alt.

I think I could get used to that.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - The way an email service should be