nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] considering what is stable

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] considering what is stable
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 19:49:13 +0100

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015, at 19:11, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> In the general case, I think it makes sense to release tarballs
> proportional to the development speed, and severity of the fixes in
> trunk awaiting release.  I don't think a set schedule makes sense,

No, I wasn't talking about a fixed schedule, just about "release early,
release often".  Four or five bugs fixed, even little ones? => Release.
One small feature added? => Release.

Even small bug fixes are worth releasing -- the people who are
affected by them will be grateful.  And having more rapid releases
will also attract a little attention and could encourage people
to send in a contribution, knowing that they can see it released
in a pretty short time.

> So 2.4.3 can be the last stable-only branch release, and we can just
> do both development and fixes in trunk. If there are urgent bugs we
> can either freeze development temporarily if needed, or fork off a
> branch temporarily if a bug is severe and trunk is in an indeterminate
> state.

The latter seems the right way to me: if there is an urgent patch to
be pushed out, and trunk doesn't seem stable, then create a branch
at the point where the most recent release was made, apply the patch
there, and release that branch.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an