nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Patch for bug #44950

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Patch for bug #44950
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 18:33:52 +0100

Hi Rishabh,

> > However, it still does not do the expected thing when giving
> > it a nonexistent dir: 'src/nano none/what' still tries to write
> > a lockfile into 'none/' -- [...]
>
> I checked if patch (improved version you sent) was correct by
> copying code into a new program to run it standalone. It runs
> successfully. I also applied patch you sent and then used 'make',
> it worked.

Define "worked".  :)

When talking about things by email, you have to be quite explicit
about what you see (and what you expected to see in case what you
saw is something different.)  But never mind that now; from your
screen dump I see what you mean.

> I never trying porting my code over different OS. Maybe it runs only
> under my environment which is Ubuntu 14.04.

I don't think the distro or version is of any influence here.

> I have sent a screen dumps [...]

Ah, yes.  Now I realize: you don't have 'set locking' in your
.nanorc file.  So, when testing things, you will have to run
not just './nano some/thing' but also './nano --locking some/thing'
and probably also './nano --backup some/thing' and check that
things work as expected also then.

However, saying simply "[ Invalid path ]" does not tell the user
which component in the path does not exist.  So instead of going
through the whole path and counting how many components don't exist,
it would be better to stop the check as soon as a nonexistent dir is
found, and report this dir to the user, similar to what is done when
trying to edit a directory ('./nano ../doc').

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail