nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Fwd: .gz support, DONE

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Fwd: .gz support, DONE
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 15:37:30 -0500

On 10 Jan 2016 20:20, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 23:58, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > zlib has a nice FILE interface
>
> You mean the functions gzopen(), gzread(), gzwrite()?

yes

> > the only sane route is to fork/execve ourselves.
>
> Whichever way it is done, this still only adds gzip support.
> It doesn't allow to edit bzipped nor xzipped nor other kinds
> of compressed files.

libbz2 includes a FILE interface too.  i understand the point
you're trying to make, but i think limited/simple support is
more in scope for nano.

> If we add the ability to edit zipped
> files, it should be generic, it should work for all sorts
> of compression -- or at least be easily extendible by just
> modifying one or two lines.

i don't know about that.  gzipped files (.gz) are just copression.
zipped files (.zip) are archive+compression.  i don't think we want
to get anywhere near archives.  same as a tarball.

as for a generic mechanism, i think that might go beyond what we
want to get into.  here's what vim does:
http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/autocmd.html#gzip-example

that seems like a lot of work.
-mike