nano-devel

[Nano-devel] not a GPL violation?

From: frank
Subject: [Nano-devel] not a GPL violation?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 13:48:23 +0000

On 18/01/2016 18:26, Chris Allegretta wrote:
Sorry, that isn't true.  I make 0 tweaks to the nano source code to
compile in Win32.  The shell scripts I use to package and build nano
are not subject to the GPL.

The README file in nano's Windows package tells of a 'few tweaks' to be integrated into the code one day. It does not mention any scripts to be run to tame the code.

Do the scripts indeed touch the source? They apparently do all the work that the source would do if it had '#ifdef _WIN32' conditions. The string 'win32' is not anywhere in the code. I simply do not believe that the code builds with './configure' and 'make' as the README suggests. I spent a couple of hours on the compilation and failed despite installing and installing and installing cygwin64 packages.

There is a project called nano-win on github dedicated to tweaks for compiling the editor. It does not change the editor, it only builds it. The few teaks turn out to be a few over the many.

Can we expect a project fron inside GNU to respect the GPL in spirit, not just to the letter? What about freedom 1?

Regards

frank