nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] selecting text by holding Shift

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] selecting text by holding Shift
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 17:58:26 +0100

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016, at 18:29, David Niklas wrote:
> I've never programmed with curses, so I would not know, but I've heard
> that the original keyboards had 24-F keys? So their should be something
> we can remap.

The problem is not a lack of logical keys to work with.  The problem is
a lack of /actual/ keys.  It /has/ to be the cursor keys, and it /has/
to be Shift.  Nothing else is acceptable for shift-selecting text.  If
those keys are not available because the terminal emulator eats them,
there is nothing we can do.  Asking the user to fiddle with the settings
of their terminal is not an option.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - The way an email service should be